Thursday, March 31, 2011

Jeff, is that you?

I have 2 Jeffreys in my life- both go by the name Jeff. One is my cousin in San Jose, California and the other is a guy I date who I usually refer to as NB. My cousin Jeff is in my phone contacts as 'JEFF' and the Jeff that I date is in my phone contacts with his first and last name.

Sometime last year, before Christmas but after August (can't remember shit), I got a text message from a number that said "Hey, this is Jeff" followed by some pictures of random things- flowers, grassy knolls, tree or some shit, I don't really recall. I vaguely remember replying with 'Cuz, what are you doing' and received a reply saying something to the effect of being bored but was called 'ma'. See my cousin, Jeff, is one of those Asian B Boys from California who thinks he is XZIBIT- and has called me 'ma' or 'lil ma' since the late 90s.

So I assumed this text was from him.

It wasn't.

Since that text last year, I received a picture here and there and sent comments, all the while thinking my cousin is super bored out of his mind- bothering me with his photos.

Until just a few days ago- I actually engaged my 'cousin' in a short text conversation. I received a few pictures then asked my cousin about his job- which got a chuckle then 4 pictures of BOOK COVER ART. The text that followed were about selling his book on Amazon and ebooks and his new book. AND FROM WHAT I KNOW MY COUSIN IS NOT ALL THAT SMART (sorry cuz). So.... I was confused. The text continued until I decided to ask if this person was my cousin.


This was some crazy ass shit. Who the fuck was this guy? Was it my cousin just fucking with me? Had I met this dude, had his number and could not remember who the fuck he was? By this text message, I was convinced that I had met dude and just did not remember who the hell he was, so I decided to call him.

When I spoke with him- I was convinced we had met but that we just never made a connection and forgot who each other was. He sent me pictures. I have never met him. I sent him pictures- I will not share those with you. 

I talked on the phone with Jeff for about an hour- he in California and me here. Fucking strange. And what was even weirder was how much we had in common.

He is a published author- I plan on reading his books on the DL- and when he is in Dallas in a few months, he has offered to buy me a beer.

Weird, eh?

0 comments:

Post a Comment